Friday, July 17, 2009

Time Capsule

Back when I was still in Young Women's, we had an activity where we each made a time capsule. Inside we put pictures, or whatever we wanted to put in there, and wrote a letter to our future self. At the time, I didn't really want to do it, and I didn't know we were going to until that day, so I didn't have much in there. But it was still so fun to open it up! I really want to do one with Tyler this year, and then open it in 20 years or so with our kids.



Time Capsule
Do not open until Married
To be opened by:
Tristan Jones
(This picture is for proof of marriage.)



Me with the time capsule.


Attempting to open it....it took 3 can openers.



Still trying...



Tyler trying.



Using the can opener like a crowbar.



FINALLY opened! Seriously - those cannery cans are heavy duty.



A letter to myself. I'm kinda sad, cause you can tell I wasn't really into it. I wish I had put more stuff in and been more into the idea.



Everything that was in it. (Minus the pedegg....that was definitely no in there.)


Anyways, it was REALLY cool to look back at the pictures of myself and my friends, read the letter to myself, and flip through the New Era. The activity was 2 days after my 14th birthday. Sometime this year, I am going to make one with Tyler. It will have letters to ourselves, pictures of our first apartment, and little trinkets and things to remind us of this year. Then, in 20-25 years (I haven't decided how long yet) I want to open it with our kids. That way we can show then what our life is like now, and we can look back and remember.

I am really glad that my leaders came up with this activity, even though I didn't like it at the time. I am definitely going to have my girls do this someday, and if I'm ever working with Young Women, I would love to have them do it too.

2 comments:

April JoAnne said...

that's cute I saw this online the other day and I wish Jack and I had done it: http://www.PersonalizationMall.com/Wedding-Keepsake-Gifts-Wedding-Time-Capsule-i11737.item?productid=1471&storeid=7&categoryid=1138&did=14278

Likeursoperfect said...

That is so cute! And it would be easier than getting everything together myself haha!.